Tinder reveals biggest dating trends of 2020, from supporting Black Lives Matter to requiring a mask for meet-ups – as well as users’ favorite emojis and wittiest pick-up lines
- Tinder has released its annual ‘Year in Swipe’ report
- The biggest trends in bios included mentioning the pandemic, Tiger King, TikTok, and Animal Crossing
- The word ‘vote’ was used twice as often in Tinder bios this year, while BLM usage grew 55x
- Tinder also unveiled some of the most clever, 2020-specific bios, as well as the most popular songs
Tinder has revealed the biggest trends on the dating app for 2020 — and some of the most clever pickup lines.
According to new data from the app, one of the surest ways to find a match this year was to mention ‘Black Lives Matter’ in one’s bio.
Meanwhile, references to the pandemic, Tiger King, and the presidential election were also hot topics.
Finding romance! Tinder has revealed the biggest trends on the dating app for 2020 — and some of the most clever pickup lines
The top: This week, Tinder unveiled its ‘Year in Swipe’ report, including the ‘most essential trends’ of the year according to user behavior
This week, Tinder unveiled its ‘Year in Swipe’ report, including the ‘most essential trends’ of the year according to user behavior.
Mentions of Black Lives Matter grew 55 times in 2020, with BLM bio mentions even outnumbering those of the term ‘hook-up’.
The app found that popular bios included lines like: ‘If you don’t support BLM, we aren’t gonna work.’
Tinder users also used their profiles to encourage others to vote, with mentions of the word doubling this year.
Masks have been on everyone’s mind, too: Mask mentions were up ten times this year, with users changing their bios to include lines like, ‘Who’s down to meet in the park w masks on?’ and ‘If your mask is around your chin IDGWU.’
Mask mentions went right alongside clever quips about the pandemic, from invitations to ‘quarantine and chill’ to flirtatious suggests to ‘wash your hands so you can come hold mine.’
Don’t know! Tinder also revealed the most popular emojis used on the app this year, with the shrugging shoulders emoji taking the top spot
Tunes: As for the top 10 trend songs on the app this year, Cardi B and Megan Thee Stallion led the way with WAP, followed by Laugh Now Cry Later by Drake
Other popular topics on Tinder in 2020 included Tiger King, TikTok, and Animal Crossing.
Tinder also revealed the most popular emojis used on the app this year, with the shrugging shoulders emoji taking the top spot.
That was followed by a black heart, a seedling, a cat face, a masked face, a black fist, the mind-blown face, toilet paper, shopping cat, and a ballot box.
As for the top 10 trend songs on the app this year, Cardi B and Megan Thee Stallion led the way with WAP, followed by Laugh Now Cry Later by Drake, Rockstar by DaBaby, Wishing Well by Juice Wrld, and Whats Poppin by Jack Harlow.
Also included Tinder’s year-end round-up were 2020’s essential bios’ which could ‘only happen’ this year.
10 most clever Tinder bios of 2020
1. I’m just a boy in a mask, standing 6 ft away from a girl, ideally in a mask, asking if she voted blue & would maybe like to meet up and social distance in the semi-distant future.
2. A month ago I needed cuddles. But now I need sanitizer and face masks. Could you help me out?
3. How many times do I need to say this: pineapple on pizza is a must, climate change is real, we need a new president & Black Lives still Matter
4. Looking to find someone other than my parents to team up with for TikTok challenges.
5. My mom said it’s okay if you stay the night.
6. If this is “the NEW normal,” imma need NEW friends.
7. I just want someone as obsessed with me as Joe Exotic was with Carol Baskin.
8. Let’s have a good time while we can, bc i’m scared af for the season finale of 2020.
9. Looking for a plus-one for my family Zoom calls.
10. Looking for someone to pump up my heart rate so my glasses fog with my mask on.