Strong and tall, these tree quotes will show you how significant it is to establish roots that are built to last.
Trees are essential for life. They are a crucial factor to our existence not only because they provide us with the materials for tools and shelter, but because they play a vital role in the carbon cycle.
They give us clean air, reduce the concentration of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, act as natural air conditioners, and provide important habitats for the world’s wildlife.
Without trees, life could not exist on earth. There would be no rain, our soils would be unprotected, and the air would be unsuitable for breathing
We need trees now more than ever! If you’re looking for a powerful and affordable way to make a positive difference to the environment, go out and plant a tree today.
Below is our collection of inspirational, wise, and thought-provoking tree quotes, tree sayings, and tree proverbs, collected from a variety of sources over the years.
For more inspiration, don’t forget to also check out our compilation of quotes on forest conservation.
Tree Quotes To Make You Want To Plant Roots
1. “He who plants a tree. Plants a hope.” – Lucy Larcom
2. “A nation that destroys its soils destroys itself. Forests are the lungs of our land, purifying the air and giving fresh strength to our people.”― Franklin D. Roosevelt
3. “Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” – John Muir
4. “Alone with myself the trees bend to caress me the shade hugs my heart” – Candy Polgar
5. “Someone’s sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago.” – Warren Buffett
6. “Until you dig a hole, you plant a tree, you water it and make it survive, you haven’t done a thing. You are just talking.” ― Wangari Maathai
7. “You can’t have the fruits without the roots.” ― Stephen Covey
8. “For in the true nature of things, if we rightly consider, every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold and silver.” – Martin Luther
9. “Trees exhale for us so that we can inhale them to stay alive. Can we ever forget that? Let us love trees with every breath we take until we perish.” ― Munia Khan
10. “The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit.” – Nelson Henderson
Tree quotes that will inspire you to be more compassionate toward your surroundings
11. “I feel a great regard for trees; they represent age and beauty and the miracles of life and growth.” ― Louise Dickinson Rich
12. “The best friend on earth of man is the tree. When we use the tree respectfully and economically, we have one of the greatest resources on the earth.” ― Frank Lloyd Wright
13. “The only thing that ultimately matters is to eat an ice-cream cone, play a slide trombone, plant a small tree, good God, now you’re free.” – Ray Manzarek
14. “To exist as a nation, to prosper as a state, to live as a people, we must have trees.”― Theodore Roosevelt
15. “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.” ― Chinese Proverb
16. “A tree is known by its fruit; a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost; he who sows courtesy reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.” – Basil
17. “He that plants trees, loves others besides himself.” – Thomas Fuller
18. “Of all man’s works of art, a cathedral is greatest. A vast and majestic tree is greater than that.” – Henry Ward Beecher
19. “What we are doing to the forests of the world is but a mirror reflection of what we are doing to ourselves and to one another.” – Mahatma Gandhi
20. “A man doesn’t plant a tree for himself. He plants it for posterity.” – Alexander Smith
Also read these Earth Day quotes on promoting environmental protection.
Tree quotes that will make you want to go plant one today
21. “That each day I may walk unceasingly on the banks of my water, that my soul may repose on the branches of the trees which I planted, that I may refresh myself under the shadow of my sycamore.” – Egyptian tomb inscription
22. “The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation increased; and not impaired in value.” – Theodore Roosevelt
23. “Whoever has learned how to listen to trees no longer wants to be a tree. He wants to be nothing except what he is. That is home. That is happiness.” ― Herman Hesse
24. “Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree.” – Martin Luther
25. “Reversing deforestation is complicated; planting a tree is simple.” – Martin O’Malley
26. “The care of the Earth is our most ancient and most worthy, and after all, our most pleasing responsibility.” ― Wendell Berry
27. “It is difficult to realize how great a part of all that is cheerful and delightful in the recollections of our own life is associated with trees.” – Wilson Flagg
28. “Trees are poems that earth writes upon the sky, We fell them down and turn them into paper, That we may record our emptiness.” – Khalil Gibran
29. “A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.” – Greek Proverb
30. “This solitary Tree! a living thing produced too slowly ever to decay; of form and aspect too magnificent to be destroyed.” – William Wordsworth
Tree quotes to remind you how our very breath depends on their conservation
31. “I said to the almond tree, ‘Friend, speak to me of God,’ and the almond tree blossomed.” – Nikos Kazantzakis
32. “Never say there is nothing beautiful in the world anymore. There is always something to make you wonder in the shape of a tree, the trembling of a leaf.” – Albert Schweitzer
33. “You know me, I think there ought to be a big old tree right there. And let’s give him a friend. Everybody needs a friend.” ― Bob Ross
34. “The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing that stands in the way. Some see Nature all ridicule and deformity, and some scarce see Nature at all. But to the eyes of the man of imagination, Nature is Imagination itself.” – William Blake
35. “If a tree dies, plant another in its place.” – Carolus Linnaeus
36. “Trees are the best monuments that a man can erect to his own memory. They speak his praises without flattery, and they are blessings to children yet unborn.” – Lord Orrery
37. “And see the peaceful trees extend their myriad leaves in leisured dance—they bear the weight of sky and cloud upon the fountain of their veins.” – Kathleen Raine
38. “We can learn a lot from trees: they’re always grounded but never stop reaching heavenward.” – Everett Mamor
39. “Trees are sanctuaries. Whoever knows how to speak to them, whoever knows how to listen to them, can learn the truth. They do not preach learning and precepts, they preach undeterred by particulars, the ancient law of life.” – Hermann Hesse
40. “The only time I can really relax is up a tree or somewhere outside. I love being outside.” – Tom Felton
Don’t forget to also read these quotes from Greta Thunberg about climate change and more.
Tree quotes to inspire and teach
41. “Of the infinite variety of fruits which spring from the bosom of the earth, the trees of the wood are the greatest in dignity.” – Susan Fenimore Cooper
42. “I never saw a discontented tree. They grip the ground as though they liked it, and though fast rooted they travel about as far as we do.” – John Muir
43. “If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.” – Jack Handey
44. “The trees are God’s great alphabet: With them He writes in shining green across the world His thoughts serene.” – Leonora Speyer
45. “I like trees because they seem more resigned to the way they have to live than other things do.” – Willa Cather
46. “Though a tree grows so high, the falling leaves return to the root.” – Malay proverb
47. “To be able to walk under the branches of a tree that you have planted is really to feel you have arrived with your garden. So far we are on the way: we can now stand beside ours.” – Mirabel Osler
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of garden quotes about the power of nature.
48. “The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
49. “A tree which has lost its head will never recover it again, and will survive only as a monument of the ignorance and folly of its Tormentor.” – George William Curtis
50. “People who will not sustain trees will soon live in a world that will not sustain people.” ― Bryce Nelson
Also read these John Muir quotes that will remind you of nature’s beauty and the need to preserve it.
More tree quotes and sayings
51. “Live like a tree, giving, forgiving and free.” – Debasish Mridha M.D.
52. “Every living creature should be grateful to every living tree for giving us a habitable world!” – Mehmet Murat ildan
53. “For a tree without a past is like a man without roots; and unless we stand in rich soil, our leaves will blow like blossom into the night.” – Richard Ayoade
54. “Some people are like trees, they take forever to grow up.” – Nitya Prakash
55. “You must always know your roots if you are to know how sturdy the tree will grow.” – Zoraida Córdova
56. “Look at a tree, a plant. How still they are, how deeply rooted in being. Allow nature to teach you stillness.” – Eckhart Tolle
57. “The next generation will never be able to understand the joy of planting a tree and watching it grow.” – Nitya Prakash
58. “I’m planting a tree to teach me to gather strength from my deepest roots.” – Andrea Koehle Jones
59. “To be without trees would, in the most literal way, to be without our roots.” – Richard Mabey
60. “Losing the trees may lead to the extinction of mankind.” – Steven Magee
Which of these tree quotes was your favorite?
Trees are vital. Whether it’s combating climate change, cleaning the air, shading our homes and streets, conserving energy, saving water or preventing soil erosion, trees play an important role in our world.
Today, the value of trees keeps increasing as their role expands to meet the needs brought by our modern lifestyles. We hope the quotes above have inspired you to conserve trees and plant more of them.
Did you enjoy these tree quotes? Which of the quotes was your favorite? Tell us in the comment section below. We would love to hear all about it.