As the world changes and adjusts to a “new normal”, many of us have experienced more worries than usual, become more aware of our current mental health problems, or have more problems with our wellbeing. Our mental and physical well-being is crucial for us to lead a happy and well-rounded life and to enjoy our experiences and those of our surroundings. For this reason, I have compiled a “by no means comprehensive” list of helpful advice on how to take care of ourselves and our wellbeing in these “crazy times”.
1. Use social media wisely
- It can be easy to consume endless coronavirus coverage. So take regular breaks on social media. Limiting this time each day will give you a better view of the current world and ensure that you are not obsessed with the situation.
- As you scroll through your feed and come across news, be sure to consult credible sources for information on updates. There are many false and / or exaggerated claims. Therefore, it is a good idea to check that the data is from a reliable source.
2. Be a helper
- Serving others is known to be a great mood lift, so it is good to be aware of those who may be vulnerable during this time.
- It’s always nice to hear from someone, especially when the person is particularly isolated – so visiting them by phone, video chat, or email is a wonderful idea!
3. Keep in touch with friends
- Although the rules of social distancing are constantly changing, keep in touch with your friends and loved ones!
- You can invite them to do their daily chores together. It is known that a virtual society combats isolation and increases the feeling of connectedness.
4. Take care of your physical and mental health
- It is very important to keep the body moving in order to process anxiety and stay healthy. Make sure you eat healthy and try to get some exercise every day.
- Your mental health is just as important as your physical – meditation and positive thinking can help focus thoughts and calm your mind (PRO TIP: Check out the app’s headspace).
5. Create a schedule
- This is one of the best ways to stay motivated and productive during this time – there’s never been a better time to get all the things you wanted to do, but you never had the time!
- Sticking to a schedule can help you get back into the routine and bring stability to life during this turbulent time.
6. Keep learning
- Learning or learning something new can help distract you from what is going on in the world and keep your mind active and working. Try to set goals for each day / week and stick to them!
- Remember to take regular breaks and make sure you have enough sleep (8+ hours) for your brain to function optimally (PRO TIP: Check out the “Pomodoro Technique” of learning. You’d better work with time that you have as against!).
Please visit the Student Space for more information to make it easier for you to find the support you need during the coronavirus pandemic.
Hiya! I’m Arabella – a 20 year old redhead who is currently enjoying her psychology degree at university (but I’ve been studying psychology for almost eight years)! I went through some very hard times while studying, but I share my story because I love every opportunity to help others and let others know that they are NOT alone <3